Using Wall Space to Your Advantage
If you are like many homeowners, you may be on the brink of using up most or all of the available surface space in your home. When it comes to shelving, tables, counters and the like, there is only so much horizontal storage that any home can fit. Solutions like custom closets and professionally designed and organized spaces can help a lot. Another option is to think outside the box: Have you considered making the most of your wall space to create more surface space? Here are some ideas:
- The Hanger Jack This is a great product. Basically, it’s a rod that can hold up to 65 lbs that you can install in your laundry room, bathroom or anywhere else that you would like to temporarily hang clothing. It nestles against the wall until you pull it down, at which time it folds out for use. It has nifty grooves to keep your hangers separated. This is a great way to keep your kids’ outfits organized in the bathroom while they get ready for school, or to hang your clothes directly out of the dryer without having to trek from room to room until you’re all done with the entire load.
- Murphy Bed If you don’t have a dedicated guest room, the Murphy bed might be the answer to your “where can we put guests?” questions! By day, this unit sits against the wall, providing storage space and blending in rather unobtrusively. By night, however, you simply pull the bed down and you have a comfy, attractive place for your guests to sleep! You can set this up in an office or playroom and preserve the function of the room while still having a place to put guests that does not require the use of an air pump!
- Fold-Down Ironing Board This is a great addition to a laundry room, as it eliminates the need for a traditional ironing board, which can be a pain to set up and take down whenever you want to do the ironing. Simply pull it down, do the ironing, and fold it back up. Easy, peasy, and takes up no room when you’re not using it.
- Fold-Down Changing Table Taking a cue from public restrooms, the fold-down changing table gives you a safe, handy place to change your baby without taking up valuable room in the nursery. You could install this anywhere in your home and no one will be the wiser. Choose one with a safety strap, like you’d have on any other changing table, as this will help keep your wiggly one in place while you attend to necessary business.
- Fold-Down Table A table that folds down for use can be invaluable and so versatile! Whether you put it in a small eat-in kitchen, a corner that you occasionally use as a home office, or in a child’s bedroom for an impromptu place to do homework, you really can’t go wrong.
Using vertical space in your home is a great way to add function without taking away living space. Look into the various options available in wall-based storage; you’ll probably be surprised at the variety available, as well as at how easily they blend into your existing decor.